Share the post "Welcome to the world of mixology: new on campus, 2014!"
Les Roches F&B team have launched some brand new training sessions this semester.
The first one we will explore is: the art of mixology
Are you wondering what mixology is?
A bartender needs a variety of skills which are crucial for success – skills which a mixologist may not develop or use on a regular basis.
Whereas a bartender usually needs to know a wide range of common and popular cocktails, and how to serve lots of people at once, as well as how to think quickly and be the ultimate people person all at the same time, the mixologist tends to focus on the art and craft of mixing cocktails, studying the classics, concocting new and exotic drinks, and experimenting with lesser-known distilled spirits and mixers. In summary, we could say that a mixologist pushes the limits of classic bartending.
Our training day objectives
• To reinforce our knowledge of ingredients & equipment recognition and handling.
• To use different appearances and textures to make cocktails more attractive with foams, mists, airs, gels, specification, re-distillation, smoking, sous-vide & suspensions.
What a day!
From start to finish, students were able to try new techniques, and interact with the trainer.
According to student feedback, the course was without a doubt invaluable for their future careers. The class was fun. ‘Learning by doing’ made the course very enjoyable.
And coming soon….
More training sessions are coming up soon.
Lined up for this semester:
• A brewery visit, don’t miss it! If you’re a beer lover, you will get to see the brewing process, and taste the finished product…
• A field trip to learn about cigars, master classes on sake, and also whisky…
• In May, the WSET® Level 2 Award in Wines and Spirits
Culinary instructor / Training Committee member
Teaching at Les Roches for 5 years
Comments are closed.