Building Experience for Career Advantage
Internships are a vital part of Les Roches hospitality management degrees. Most students will complete two, 6-month internships during the bachelor program.
At Les Roches, you will be exposed to a variety of internship opportunities from your first week on campus:
- Internship Fair: presented by returning students during the first week
- The CDIP publishes internship offers: average 3 offers per student
- Company Visits: 40+ per semester with presentations and interviews
When considering internship possibilities, you will be urged to keep in mind:
- Language Requirements: Most of the internship offers require proficient English, but you can also look for internships that require other foreign language skills.
- Visa and Work Permit Regulations: Student nationality and international bylaws can influence the receipt of a work permit or visa for a particular country. The cost of work permits vary in each country.
- Salary and Facilities: Generally, companies offer meals and other benefits and many offer accommodation.
Once you have found an appropriate position, the fine tuning and preparation for internship can begin. The CDIP will guide you through the final steps and ensure that by the time you leave campus, you will be ready to embark on the next exciting phase of your practical education.
BACHELOR DEGREE HOSPITALITY INTERNSHIPS
For students in the bachelor degree program, each internship will develop specific skills and provide a different experience.
Semester 2 Internship
For this first internship, you will put into practice the basics you have learned and get a feel for the industry. This first work experience is at operational level either in service (restaurant, bars, room service) or in Rooms Division (Front office, housekeeping).
Semester 5 Internship
The aim of the second internship is to allow you to develop your understanding of administration, project management, managing your time and communicating in the hospitality workplace. This internship can be completed in any department depending on the student’s interests and specialization choice.
POSTGRADUATE DEGREE INTERNSHIPS
Postgraduate students generally undertake one internship in the hospitality industry that lasts a minimum of four months.
As students in this program are more mature, due to their background, age and previous education, they will generally be given an administrative, supervisory, or training position (with, if possible, exposure to a variety of operating departments) in a Swiss or international hotel or another hospitality establishment.
The supervisor will work with students in order to incorporate the knowledge and skills they will have already acquired during their 2 semesters of classroom and craft-based-learning experience on campus.